Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Comic Life assignment

This week's assignment was to create a collage of pictures that represent a theme that has some importance to the artist (me!). I chose Shea Stadium in Flushing Meadows, Queens, N.Y. because it was an important part of my childhood and it is to be torn down soon. I also wanted to create a tangible homage to a place that I hold dear, and I think this poster will be a great gift for many of my extended family and friends who share my sentiments.

Originally opened in 1964 to house the New York Mets, a team created to replace the recently departed N.Y. Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers, Shea has never been considered a landmark like its crosstown rival Yankee Stadium. While the elitist Yankee fans raise their noses at Shea, for two wonderful years (1974 & 1975) the Yankees were forced to play their home games at Shea while the house that Ruth built was being remodeled. Imagine my nine year old joy to have both teams playing in my favorite stadium all year 'round. Pure baseball bliss!

I really enjoy working with Comic Life because the graphics are easy to apply and imagination seems to be the only boundary to creating aesthetically pleasing projects that can inspire, amuse, entertain. I plan on using this technology, some how, to have students explore evocative themes such as Civil Rights, American politics, literary movements, and important inventions. The sky is really the limit with what a student can create. Imagine a genealogy project or a family tree that a student can take home and perhaps, one day far from now, give to his grandchildren. I love the possibilities!

1 comment:

Tori said...

COOL!!!
Family tree... that is a great idea. And something that would be fun to design on Comic Life. With using this program the students could make their tree in any formation they want and fit it to your own personality. Instead of the normal 'tree' looking one. BORING!!!! With each tree individualized, the students would own the project for themselves and it would mean more to them.

It would also be much more interesting for the teacher to grade if they would all different.