Monday, March 31, 2008

Flicker Slide Show of Shea

This flickr slide show was created to honor one of my favorite places on this planet: Shea Stadium in Flushing Meadows, Queens, New York. The stadium first opened its doors in 1964 (the year before I was born), and sadly, it is to meet its demise at the end of the 2008 baseball season. I am saddened because I have countless memories (most wonderful) attached to that building, so I figured I'd create something to honor those feelings and, perhaps, allow me to revisit a time long ago when life was simple.


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

I enjoyed working on this program for a few reasons. The first is the storage capacity and accessibility of the Flickr website. What a wonderful resource! Students doing class projects will be able to store all their pictures on Flickr, without worry of gumming up the computer they are working on, and also enjoy access wherever they like. I also appreciate the slide show aspect because I can envision my students creating informative slide shows that strengthen their narrative skills. I will begin using this program immediately for students who leave class for a week or two on a cheap, off-season family vacation. They can submit a slide show with a narrative of their vacation, and then they won't be buried with make-up work when they return to the class. I also have plans to allow students to create civil rights narratives, which I hope will further their understanding our country's recent past, to coincide with our novel To Kill A Mockingbird. Once again, the only limit to this technology, like so many of the others we've been introduced to, is imagination.

1 comment:

skipvia said...

I wasn't aware that Shea Stadium was going to be destroyed. Kind of makes you feel old--especially since I was born 15 years before it was built...

I appreciated your comments about using Flickr Slidr slide shows with your students. If they make full use of the Description box with their photos on Flickr, they should be able to create an effective, illustrated story about their trip.